For those young and lively looking eyes again.
Blepharoplasty is a procedure used for genetically inherited of age-related eye deformations and the procedure usually takes between 30 and 90 minutes to complete.
This procedure does not requirement an overnight stay and is performed under sedation or local anaesthetic. There are no visible scars and the no pain is felt, most patient return to their normal routine immediately and the dressings are removed after 4-5 days.
How do the eyelids become deformed?
Either genetics or age related changes can give the patient a permanently tired look and aged expression, these changes can be reversed using Blepharoplasty.
The skin over the eyes is the thinnest on the body and is therefore the first skin to wrinkle. Over time, this deformation becomes exaggerated as the midface bones retract causing the position of the eyebrows, eyelids, eye muscles and the fat layer to change. Whilst short-term temporary procedures such as Botox can work, Eyelid Surgery is a permanent solution.
By removing the excess skin and herniated fat tissues, can restore a younger livelier look for the eyes. Where excessive sagging of the eyelid has occurred impacting on the quality of the patients vision, this procedure can have a positive impact on the patients vision.
If required will also use tissue transplants to support the eyelid and create a natural look. All incisions made during this procedure are hidden within the natural creases of the eyelid and remain invisible.
Lower Eyelid Operations
Bags under the eyes caused by genetics, stress, age, insomnia or poor nutrition can give a person a tired haggard look. This darkening below the eyes can be difficult to mask even using heavy makeup, and so the patient might consider having the procedure performed on the lower eyelids. If you require both lower and upper eyelids procedures, will advise you on the best procedure for you.
Guidelines for surgery
The following guidelines apply for all types of surgery.
- Use of all blood thinners should be stopped
- Smoking should stop from the date of the operation until 10-14 days after the treatment. Any activities that will increase blood pressure should also be halted.
- You will be able to return home on the day of your surgery
- As the area of where the incisions are made is not visible there will be no visible scars from the procedure
- If both lower and upper eyelid procedures are performed together, the total operating time is around 90 minutes
- Some swelling might occur but should subside within a few days
- It is recommended that you rest for 2 days after the surgery and sleep on a high pillow
- There are no age related restrictions for eye surgery
- Exposing the area to strong sunlight is not recommended after surgery, so if a summer holiday is planned, it would be best to schedule your surgery at another time
- This surgery is frequently combined with other facial procedures such as the mini-lift and micro-lift