Restore what time has taken away, naturally.
Fat Injection is a simple procedure that is usually recommended for patients in their late 30’s with a loss of volume in their face or for younger patients looking to create ideal face proportions.
The procedure is performed under sedation and usually takes less than 30 minutes. Most patients describe the procedure as painless and go home the same day.
No scars are left by the surgery and any swelling or bruising experienced is usually minor and subsides within 4 to 7 days.
How are fat injections used?
The first indication of aging in the face is not the appearance of wrinkles in the skin but the melting of the fat pads that provide the face with volume, particularly in the mid-face. This process starts to create the aged look and tired expression.
The formation of wrinkles usually becomes noticeable in the late 30’s, however, this process actually starts in the early 30’s. The fat pads under the eyelids begin to melt and the middle part of the face becomes “drained off” creating a look that is more skeletal, with deeper lines appearing.
The solution to this problem is to replace the melting fats with your own tissues, effectively refiling the voids left by the melting fat pads.
How does the procedure work?
There are two methods of transferring fat;
The first is “conventional fat injection” where fat is injected plain as a mass. This method has a higher dissolution rate of the fat cells (around 80%)
The second is “micro fat transplantation”. With this method the fat is derived using low pressure to avoid damage and then processed and injected into the tissue gently, layer by layer in very small quantities. This second method has far higher persistency and therefore a lower dissolution rate (around 30-40%)
The use of a micro injection also prevents fluctuations in the face and excessive swelling. In addition, as cells remain alive in the body, a single injection usually provides adequate results. Using this technique, it is possible to fill up areas on the face where natural drooping has occurred due to ageing, primarily the cheeks, upper cheekbones, jaw line and around the lips. The fat used in this procedure is derived from the abdomen, hips, waist and legs.
Guidelines for surgery
The following guidelines apply for all types of surgery
- Use of all blood thinners should be stopped
- Smoking should stop from the date of the operation until 10-14 days after the treatment. Any activities that will increase blood pressure should also be halted.
- You are able to wash your face the day after the procedure
- Ice application can be used for the first three days to calm any Oedema (swelling and fluid gathering in the injected areas of the face)
- Daily creams (including Oedema reducing creams) can be used from the day following the procedure. Make-up can be worn.
- You should avoid sports for the first two weeks following your procedure